About Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy (“MCSP”)
MCSP is a premier, full-service pharmacy and compounding lab located in Wilmington,
NC. For over 30 years, we have been a trusted local pharmacy for all types of
prescriptions including specialized compounded medications. Our mission at Medical
Center Specialty Pharmacy is to hold steadfast in our founding philosophy of
exceptional, personalized service, customized solutions, and care for our patients’ health
and well-being. We are looking for team members that share our Core Values:
• Customer Service
• Commitment to Quality
MCSP is seeking an energetic, team-oriented pharmacist to join our growing operation.
We generally have several pharmacists on duty sharing roles and dispensing
responsibilities. This position is part-time but may lead to full-time hours in the future.
The pharmacist will be primarily responsible for dispensing medications, including
compounded formulations, counseling patients on the use of the medicine and advising
physicians about medication therapy.
• BS in Pharmacy or Pharm D Degree from an accredited educational institute.
• Must be a licensed pharmacist in good standing with the North Carolina
Board of Pharmacy
• At least 2 years of pharmacy experience including prescription filling and
verification, records and legal compliance, pharmacy operations, pharmacy
software and technology systems and insurance.
• Employment is contingent upon a drug screening test and background check
• Sterile and/or non-sterile compounding experience is a plus but not a
• Experience with PioneerRx preferred
Skills and Characteristics:
• Attention to detail
• Demonstrated leadership qualities
• High level of professionalism
• Team player
• Desire for professional growth
• Positive attitude
• Motivation to contribute to company initiatives
Key Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
• Dispense prescriptions: Dispense prescribed medications, drugs and other
pharmaceuticals for patient care
• Lead Pharmacy Technicians: Take responsibility for ensuring the correct
drug, dose and directions are being dispensed to the correct individual and
done in a timely manner. In addition, the staff pharmacist should maintain an
overview of the pharmacy ensuring that patients are being waited on timely
and courteously. The pharmacist should ensure that staff members know
what job functions they should be always doing and be conscious of
productivity, apparent job satisfaction, and interpersonal professional
• Patient Safety: Check patient records every time he/she gets a new
prescription dispensed – evaluating drug interactions, apparent
appropriateness of therapy based on the patient’s medical issues, therapies
from other practitioners, compliance, etc.
• Counseling Patients: The pharmacist should proactively make themselves
available to speak to patients when any new prescription is dispensed to
ensure that patients understand why they are taking the medications, how
best to take the medications, and any cautionary information deemed
appropriate about side effects and to ensure the best compliance and
positive outcome of therapy.
• Patient Education: The pharmacist should be available to counsel patients
about MCSP’s therapies, general health issues, OTC medications, and
nutritional supplement guidance.
• Communication with Prescribers: Communicate with prescribers and their
staff to ensure accurate and safe dispensing of prescribed medications. The
pharmacist can offer suggestions and alternatives for therapy to the
prescriber if it is requested or deemed appropriate or necessary.
Considerations of patient affordability and compliance issues should be
noted with prescribers as needed.
• Software Proficiency: Become proficient with PioneerRx and the
Compounder software programs.
• Compounding Education: Improve compounding knowledge through
continuous on-the-job learning, self-study and continuing education on
compounding as opportunities for training are offered.
• Insurance Companies/Coverage: Make reasonable efforts to assist patients
with obtaining their insurance benefits for products and services provided.
• Reimbursements and Costs of Goods: Monitor reimbursements and ensure
that reasonable gross margins are being paid by insurance and/or patients.
Observe costs on generic drug and powders in regular prescriptions and
compounded prescriptions as prices change. Discuss with management as
needed and as observed.
• Administrative Tasks: Ensure that patient files are up to date, that needed
products are being ordered and inventoried at appropriate times, and stock
levels are maintained for day-to-day operations. Also, be aware of computer
or other equipment issues that arise and communicate with the
administrative staff to ensure timely corrections/repairs.
• Coordination with Management: Communicate with pharmacy management
to ensure that management directions and intentions are followed through.
Share with management any issues that need addressing.
Hours: Part-time employment for 3 days/week (no weekends) for approximately 8-hour
Covid-19 vaccination required